A cause for celebration as president Uhuru Kenyatta signs into law the Children Bill 2021. Below are the highlights of the Children act.
- Children in conflict with law, especially those accused of committing minor offenses will not be taken through the Court System, rather they will be diverted to community-based system.
- All Children coming into conflict with the law will be provided with free legal aid to enable them to navigate through the Justice System.
- Children living with disability will now be accorded medical treatment, special care, education and training free of charge.
- The law introduces a new concept of kinship adoption which will enable relatives of adopted Children to do it in a much cheaper faster way that is devoid of legal technicalities.
- The law establishes a Child Welfare Fund.